FIDE made an announcement that originally scheduled Chess Olympiad in Moscow has now been cancelled for 2021. 2022 Minsk Chess Olympiad has also been disrupted and now the final decision has been made and the next Chess Olympiad will be held in Russia in 2022. It is really unfortunate for those who were planning on playing in Moscow in 2021 but we hope that this gives more time for players wishing to qualify for 2022 Olympiad to prepare themselves for qualifying events.
Because of the changes made by FIDE, NCS has made some amendments to 2022 Chess Olympiad Criteria. These changes apply to only 2022 event.
1. Selection conditions/terms
- is a full-term NCS member
- *has been playing under Japan chess federation for at least 2 years since transferring federations from other countries (For 2022 Olympiad, the transfer has to have been completed before May 15 2020)
- has participated in at least 4 official NCS tournaments (standard time control) including at least one **A level tournament ***in the last 2 years
- has participated in at least 4 FIDE-rated tournaments (standard time control) ***in the last 2 years
*This applies to players who switched federations only.
**A level tournaments : Japan Chess Championship, Women’s Chess Championship and Japan Open
*** “In the last 2 years” refers to the period starting March of 2 years before the Olympiad year.
2. Selection Criteria
- Japan Chess Championship winner from the last 2 years, Japan Women’s Chess Championship winner from the last 2 years. (If the same player wins for 2 years in a row, only 1 player is selected from the championships. For Open, this refers to the champions from 2021 and 2022. For Women’s, this refers to the champions from 2020 and 2021 but since there was no selection made from 2020 for women’s section due to the cancellation of the event, only the winner of 2021 Japan Women’s Chess Championship will be selected.
- Top 3-4 players with the rating ratio of the following: FIDE：NCS = 7:3 (If a player declines, then the next player on the list is selected. May Rating List is used)
Once the players are selected, NCS executives will make the final decision making sure the members are representative-worthy by May 15th of the Olympiad year. Coaches are in charge of making any decisions during the Olympiad.
The selection deadline and/or the criteria may change depending on the timing of the Olympiad
Updated: December 28 2020