Selection criteria – Chess Olympiad Representatives (2022-)
- Selection conditions/terms
- is a full-term NCS member
- has been playing under Japan chess federation for at least 2 years since transferring federations from other countries * (For 2022 Olympiad, the transfer has to have been completed before May 15 2020)
- has participated in at least 3 official NCS tournaments including at least one A** level tournament in the last year (excluding all Rapid Chess Challenges)
- has participated in at least 3 FIDE-rated tournaments in the last year
*This applies to players who switched federations only.
**A level tournaments：Japan Chess Championship, Women’s Chess Championship and Japan Open
“In the last year” refers to the period starting March of the year before the Olympiad year
- Selection Criteria
NCS will select 5 Olympiad members for each Open and Women’s section who have passed the selection conditions/terms above.
- Japan Chess Championship winner from the last 2 years, Japan Women’s Chess Championship winner from the last 2 years. (If the same player wins for 2 years in a row, only 1 player is selected from the championships. For 2022, this refers to the champions from 2020 and 2021)
- Top 4 players with the rating ratio of the following: FIDE：NCS = 7:3 (If a player declines, then the next player on the list is selected. May Rating List is used)
Once the players are selected, NCS executives will make the final decision making sure the members are representative-worthy by May 15th of the Olympiad year. Coaches are in charge of making any decisions during the Olympiad.
The selection deadline and/or the criteria may change depending on the timing of the Olympiad
December 30 2019