Registration has closed as the number of participants reached to the limit.
What is a chess tournament like?
A tournament experience with advisors to support your play.
Beginners are highly welcome!
Join us to feel the atmosphere of a chess tournament.
- Date (Dates): Sunday, February 5
- Venue: Shinagawa Ward General Kumin Hall “Kyurian” 5th Floor, Seminar Room 4
5-18-1 Higashi-Oi, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo (map)
- Format: 15 min + 10 sec/ move, 3 Rounds, Swiss (pairing may not follow FIDE system), Unrated
- It is possible to participate in both the Rookies Chess and Step-up Chess Tournaments.
- Entry criteria: Beginners (Recommended for those with Chess.com rating U1200, Lichess rating U1400)
- Entry fee: 2,000yen for NCS members, 3,000yen for non-NCS members
- Registration: Purchase tickets through [Peatix] during the application period (Only – 16 spots)
- Entries are accepted: Between 18:00 on Friday, December 9, 2022, and 23:59 on Thursday, February 2, 2023
Sunday, February 5
9:30 – 09:50 Check-in
9:50 Opening Ceremony
10:00 1st Round
11:00 2nd Round
12:00 3rd Round
- There is no prize since this tournament is for beginners.
- The organizer will provide chess equipment, including clocks.
- Players need NOT record all moves, but let’s do it if you can.
- All electronic devices, including smartwatches, must be turned off and stored away, not to be touched or carried out of the playing room during the game. If a player is found with a mobile device during the game, the player loses the game.
- All players have to agree to the above rules and the COVID-19 Guidelines.
- No observers are allowed without permission. Please contact NCS. You need to have permission by email the day before the tournament starts. (mail:email@example.com) However, one parent or guardian per underage participant is allowed in the venue.
- The tournament will follow FIDE rules unless otherwise stated above.
- The organizer reserves the right to change the above conditions in case of reasonable cases before the first round begins.
- Please be advised that photographs will be taken at the event for use on the japanchess.org website, in the press, and other publications. By entering this event, you consent to the National Chess Society of Japan photographing and using your image and likeness.
- Due to some unforeseen incidents and/or because of the pandemic situation, the tournament may be postponed or cancelled with short notice. Thank you for your understanding.
- If cancellation is made before the day 8-days before the registration deadline and the number of participants has not reached the maximum number, a refund will be made. We do not refund from 7-days before the application deadline. We do not refund once the number of applicants has reached the maximum.
- NCS cannot be held responsible for any problems that occur between individuals.
Organizer and Sponsorship
National Chess Society of Japan