- Date (Dates): Saturday, September 17, to Sunday, September 18
- Venue: Hokutopia (2min walk from the north gate of JR Ohji Station)
1-11-1 Oji, Kita-ku, Tokyo-to (access)
- Format: 4-Player Team Tournament, 6-Round Swiss, 45 min+30sec/move, NCS rated
- Entry criteria: All team members (4-5 players) for NCS members only (yearly or 1-time tournament members)
- Entry fee:
①20,000 yen (for each team)
②Teams consist of U23 members only: 16,000yen (for each team)
(U23 means players who have not reached the age 23 before January 1st, 2022. i.e. Players born in 1999 and later.)
③NCS Registered Clubs outside Honshu are free of fees (0 yen), NCS Registered Clubs outside Kanto are half of the fees (10,000 yen) However, only one team per club is applicable (regular entry fee for teams of two or more).
④Individuals can also participate as a member of an instant team by purchasing an individual ticket: 6,000yen (NCS will decide the composition of the teams and the captains. NCS may cancel the registration in case the number of the registration is not sufficient to form a team.)
- Registration: Purchase tickets through [Peatix] during the application period (Only 36 spots + individual ticket 8 members)
- Entries are accepted between 6:00 pm on Friday, July 23, and 11:59 pm on Tuesday, September 13
21:00 – 21:30 Captain Meeting (Online meeting)
9:30 – 10:10 Check-In
10:10 – 10:30 Opening ceremony
10:30 Round 1
14:00 Round 2
17:00 Round 3
9:30 Round 4
13:00 Round 5
16:00 Round 6
- Team Prizes: Participating teams will be divided into two categories, based on the average NCS ratings. The upper half will be Open Category, and the lower half will be Category A.
Open Category: 1st – 30,000 yen, 2nd – 25,000 yen, 3rd – 20,000 yen
Category A: 1st – 15,000 yen, 2nd – 12,000 yen, 3rd – 10,000 yen
- Board Prizes: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th Board Prize 5,000 yen each
- Participation Prize: For all participating elementary school students.
- Game Point: Team match composes of simultaneous four games. A win of a game counts for 1 point, a draw for 0.5 points, and a loss for 0 points.
- Match Point: A win of a team counts for 2 points, a draw for 1 point, and a loss for 0 points. (A team wins if it acquires more game points than its opponent. A team draws if its game points are as same as its opponent’s.)
- Ranking: Final ranking will be determined by the sum of the match points. In case of the same points, the ranking will be determined by the following tie-breaks.
(1) Points (Sum of game points)
(2) Results of the teams (Result of the direct encounter of the teams)
(3) Buchholz (Sum of the match points of the opponents)
(4) Sonneborn-Berger (Sum of the match points of the opponents against which the team won and sum of the half of the points of the opponents against which the team drew.)
(5) Drawing of lots
- Ranking for Board Prizes: Ranking will be determined by the sum of the game points of individual players. Tie-breaks are as follows.
(1) Performance Rating
(2) Ranking of their Teams
- Default time: If any player is not present within 10 min after the game started, she/he shall lose the game by default. The game is not rated.
- Byes: No bye request will be accepted.
- The organizer will provide chess equipment including clocks and score sheets. Players must use them.
- Players must record all moves. Once the game is finished, both players sign both score sheets and hand over the original score sheets to the arbiters. Make sure the results are correct before signing.
- All electronic devices including smartphones, tablets and/or smartwatches must be turned off and stored away. Players are not allowed to keep it on him/her or take it outside of the venue in a bag. When a player breaks these rules, his/her game shall be immediately lost. It is forbidden for anybody to use a mobile phone or any kind of communication device in the playing venue.
- The team pairings will be done according to the average of NCS ratings of the teams without URs.
- The tournament will follow FIDE rules unless otherwise stated above. (2nd illegal move – loss of the game. Pressing the clock by mistake or pressing it with the other hand which touched the pieces will also be judged as an illegal move.)
NCS Team competition rules
- A team consists of 4 or 5 players, including a captain, and plays a 4-player team match. (A team captain can be a player or a non-player. If the captain is not a player, that team may have 5 players plus a captain).
- The team order (FBO = Fixed Board Order) can not be changed once submitted. FBO will be registered at the time of registration through Peatix. If there will be a change of members or a change in FBO, the team should inform NCS by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 23:59 on Tuesday, September 13th.
- If a team gets an allocated bye, or if the opposing team fails to show up with more than two players, the team will be declared a forfeit win. The match point will be 2, and the game point will be 4.
- Please refrain from talking or communicating with other members, other players or spectators during the game.
- No pre-arranged draws will be permitted. If found that such an arrangement had been made, the players or the teams will be penalized at the discretion of the chief arbiter.
- A team Captain must refrain from interfering with players during the games. S/he shall not stand across from the players where eye contact could be made with his/her players.
- A team captain is entitled to advise the players of his/her team to make or accept an offer of a draw. The player can also ask his/her captain if s/he may offer or accept a draw. The team captain shall then speak to the player in the presence of an arbiter. The same procedure shall be followed if a player needs to speak to the captain.
- After each round, a team captain should check the results and report any errors to the chief arbiter immediately. To avoid confusion, only captains are allowed to communicate with arbiters.
- Each captain must submit the next round’s Round Team List (RTL = Round Team List) to the chief arbiter 5 min before the next round. If no RTL is submitted, the Fixed Board Order (FBO) will be used for the next round for the team.
- For the first round, team pairings will be announced on Thursday, September 15th. We will email the pairings to team captains. Please reply with the 1st round RTL by 20:00 on Friday, September 16th. If you do not reply, FBO will be used for R1.
Media related rules
- The results of this tournament will be posted on the Internet (chess-results.com) for reporting purposes. The game record may also be published on the Internet. Participants agree to the publication of their real names, results, and game records.
- Observers are allowed to take photos for the first 10 minutes of each game, including the use of a mobile phone. but after 10 minutes, all mobiles have to be put away by the observers and they are not allowed to use them in the playing room. Exception for people with special permission.
- Individuals who wish to use photos or videos of participants (during games, award ceremonies, etc.) must be careful to protect their privacy. In addition to obtaining comprehensive consent in advance, for example, in the case of minors, the permission of their guardians must be obtained, and due consideration must be given to the protection of personal information and portrait rights.
- The organizer will take photos, record videos, and broadcast live coverage of the event. These may be published and used in media such as websites, SNS, video sites, and journals managed by NCS. Participants shall agree to the publication and live broadcast of these photos and videos.
- All players have to follow the COVID-19 Guidelines Revised. In addition, the players have to agree to the rules Stricter COVID-19 measures while the stricter COVID-19 measures are to be applied.
- No observers are allowed without permission. Please contact NCS. You need to have permission by email the day before the tournament starts. However, one parent or guardian per underage participant is allowed in the venue.
- The organizer reserves the right for changing the above conditions in case of reasonable cases before the first round begins.
- Due to the nature of the venue, there may be unavoidable changes to the duration of the event, or the event itself may be cancelled.
- If cancellation is made before the day 7-days prior to the registration deadline and the number of participants has not reached the maximum number, a refund will be made. No refunds will be made for any reason after the day 7-days prior to the registration deadline or when the maximum number of participants has been reached.
- NCS cannot be held responsible for any problems that occur between individuals.
Organizer and Sponsorship