2nd Miyoko Watai Memorial
Because of the recent increase in number of infections of the Coronavirus in Japan, especially in Tokyo area, we have been forced to make a difficult decision to cancel this year’s Japan Women’s Chess Championship. This was again a very tough decision to make but we did not see any other choice but to cancel for the safety of players and their family members. We appreciate your understanding. This is indeed a sad announcement to make…
8/1-2, Swiss – 6 Rounds
- Dates/Venue: August 1st and 2nd / Shinagawa Ward General Kumin Hall “Kyurian” (Across from JR Oimachi Station) 5F.
- Time Control: 6R swiss. 45min+30sec/move.
Registration opens on 7/7
- Entry fee: 6,000yen, U23 (22 years old and younger) – 5,000yen.
- Entry Criteria: NCS female members (yearly or 1-time tournament members). Only yearly members will be considered towards any qualifications
- Registration： email@example.com
Registration opens on July 7th (Tue) 8:00pm and closes on July 28th (Tue) 8:00pm or when the maximum number of players is reached.
Payment Deadline: July 29th (Wed) 12:00. Entries are capped at 20!
|8/1 (Sat)||9:00||Venue opens|
|8/2 (Sun)||9:30||Round 4|
Please arrive before 9:45 to complete registration and to go over special protocols.
- Default time is 30min. from the start of each game. If any player is not present within half an hour after the game is started, He/she shall lose the game by default. The game is not rated.
- Prizes and plaques: 1st prize: plaque and 10,000yen, 2nd prize: plaque and 8,000yen, 3rd prize: plaque and 6,000yen. Tie-breaks will be used to determine winners. No two players will share the prize.
- (1) The winner will qualify as official female player for international tournaments held between the fall of 2020 until the summer of 2021 (or until the Women’s Championship 2021). The top player will qualify for Chess Olympiad 2022. (This rule does not apply to the players who are participating in a tournament in Japan for the first time and only applies to yearly members under Japan Chess Federation). See “Japanese representatives for the Chess Olympiad (2022-)” for specific rules on our website.
(2) The top 2 players will qualify for Japan Chess Championship 2021. And the additional top player from Japan Federation will qualify if the top players are from Foreign Federations. (applies to yearly members only)
(3) The Japan Women’s Championship title will be awarded as “Miyoko Watai Award” and it will be given to the top player from Japan Federation only.
1. Direct encounter, 2. Buchholz Cut-1, 3. Buchholz, 4. Sonneborn-Berger, 5. Sum of the rating of the opponents, 6. Draw.
- Pre-registered byes: 0.5 point bye requests will be accepted before round 1 begins. 0 points are given for the 2nd day. If a player has more than 1 pre-requested byes, the player will not qualify for prizes nor qualify for the Japan Chess Championship. Pairing-allocated bye will be 1 point.
- Players must record all the moves made by both players until the end. When the game is finished, check the results, sign the score sheets and report the result to the arbiter.
- All electronic devices must be turned off and stored away. not to be touched or carried out of the playing room during the game. If a player is found with a mobile device during his/her game, the player loses the game.
- Spectators are allowed to take photos for the first 10 min. of each game, including the use of a mobile but after 10 minutes, all mobiles have to be put away by the spectators and they are not allowed to use them in the playing room.
- This is an NCS rated tournament. The pairings will be done according to the NCS rating. If there are 2 players with the same rating, the alphabetical order of the players will be used.
- The organizer will provide chess equipment including clocks.
The tournament will follow FIDE rules unless otherwise stated above. (1st illegal move – 2 extra minutes are given to the opponent. 2nd illegal move – loss of the game etc.)
The organizer reserves the right for changing the above conditions in case of reasonable cases before the first round begins. And please be advised that photographs will be taken at the event for use on the japanchess.org website and in the press, and other publications. By entering this event, you consent to the National Chess Society of Japan photographing and using your image and likeness.
Guidelines for COVID-19
- These guidelines are to be followed for the safety of players and others.
(1) Wear a mask or a face cover inside the venue
(2) No handshaking
(3) No analyzing of games in other rooms is allowed
(4) Sanitize hands upon entering the venue
(5) If you are at all unwell or have any flu-like symptoms, please contact NCS immediately and stay home and do not come to the venue
(6) If asked to have the temperature checked and if it is above 37.5℃, the player is requested to leave immediately. The player’s game will be recorded as 0F
- The organizers will follow these guidelines:
(1) Open windows regularly to air out where possible
(2) Sanitize all equipment after each round
(3) No observers are allowed inside the venue without permission
By registering for this event, you agree to the above rules and guidelines. NCS will not be responsible for or held liable for any illness caused by possible infection of COVID-19.