The tournament has been postponed until further notice. (aiming for the fall). The new dates will be posted as soon as they are set.
May 2-6/ “Kyurian” (Across from JR Oimachi Station), Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo.
- Time Control: 9R swiss. 90min/40moves + 30m, +30sec/move (FIDE rated)．
- Prizes and plaques: Plaque and prize for top 5 players. 1st prize: 50000yen, 2nd prize: 30000yen, 3rd prize: 10000yen, 4th prize: 5000yen 5th prize: 5000yen.
Tie-breaks will be used to determine winners. No two players will share the prize.
- Playing Schedule:
|May 2 (Day 1)||May 3-5 (Day 2-4)||May 6 (Day 5)|
|09:00 Venue opens|
10:00 Check in&Pairings!
|09:00 Venue opens||09:00 Venue opens|
|10:20 Round 1||10:00 Round 3, 5, 7||10:00 Round 9|
|15:30 Round 2||15:30 Round 4, 6, 8||15:30 Closing Ceremony|
※The party after the tournament is cancelled this year.
- Default time is 30min. If any player is not present within half an hour after the game started, he/she shall lose the game by default. The game is not rated.
- (1) Top ３ players will be selected as official players for 2020 Chess Olympiad. (Refer to “2020 Chess Olympiad Players Selection Criteria” on the website).
(2) The winner and the top female player will qualify for Japan Chess Championship 2021.
- Entry fee: 20,000yen.
Entry Criteria: Open to qualified players who are full-term NCS members on the day of the tournament. (Non Japanese FIDE players can participate and win prizes, but they are not entitled to receive the Japan Champion title.)
- Registration： “email@example.com”
Registration Deadline: April 15 8:00pm.
Payment Deadline: April 28 12:00.
- Pre-registered byes: 0.5 point bye requests will be accepted before round 1 begins. 0 points are given for the last round. If a player has more than 2 pre-requested byes, the player will not qualify for prizes nor qualify for Japan Chess Championship or the Olympiad Selection. Pairing-allocated bye will be 1 point.
- Tie-breaks: 1. Direct encounter, 2. Buchholz Cut-1, 3. Buchholz, 4. Sonneborn-Berger, 5. Sum of the rating of the opponents, 6. Drawing lots.
- The organizer will provide chess equipment including clocks.
- Players must record all moves. Once the game is finished, both players sign both score sheets and hand over the original score sheets to the arbiters. Make sure the results are correct before signing.
- All electronic devices have to be turned off and stored away. Not to be touched or carried out of the playing room during the game. If a player is found with a mobile device during his/her game, the player loses the game. Any violation will result in a loss of game. This game is rated.Spectators are also not allowed to use electronic devices in the playing room.
- Spectators are allowed to take photos for the first 10 min. of each game, including the use of a mobile but after 10minutes, all mobiles have to be put away by the spectators and they are not allowed to use them in the playing room. Exception for people with a special permission.
- The tournament will follow FIDE rules unless otherwise stated above. (1st illegal move – 2 extra minutes are given to the opponent. 2nd illegal move – loss of the game. Etc.) The pairings will be done according to the FIDE rating. If there are 2 players with the same rating, the NCS rating and the alphabetical order of the players will be used.
- The organizer reserves the right for changing the above conditions in case of reasonable cases before the first round begins. And please be advised that photographs will be taken at the event for use on the japanchess.org website and in the press, and other publications. By entering this event, you consent to the National Chess Society of Japan photographing and using your image and likeness.
- Organizer: (NCS) National Chess Society of Japan.
- Wash your hands before and after each game
- No handshaking before and/or after the game
- Be diligent about hygiene etiquette – wear a mask and if coughing or sneezing, NEVER cough into your hands (even if you have a mask on), but use your elbow instead and go wash your hands right away
- No analysis after the game
- If you do not feel well, stay home and do not come to the venue
- If you feel unwell during the game, let the arbiter know. The organizer may ask you to go home and rest
- The closing ceremony will be held only with the prize winners
- There will be no closing party
About selection of Olympiad members
NCS is still planning on hosting the Japan Chess Championship 2020 in May. However, there is a possibility of cancellation due to the coronavirus. If the cancellation happened, we would apply the 2022 selection criteria to select 3 more Olympiad members of 2020.
19th March 2020
Japanese representatives for the Chess Olympiad (2022-)
２(2) Top 4 players with the rating ratio of the following: FIDE：NCS = 7:3 (If a player declines, then the next player on the list is selected. May Rating List is used)
PDF to download
PDF of Regulations to download HERE.
(Written in Japanese and in English)